This year the Yale Club of New York City is celebrating the centennial of its current location—a James Gamble Rogers (Yale College, Class of 1889) building that opened in 1915 at 50 Vanderbilt Avenue. The Yale Club was founded in 1897, and the ex-libris of the club’s library was designed in 1905 by Howard Pyle (1853-1911) and engraved by Edwin Davis French (1851-1906).
Marrion Wilcox writes about “The Yale Club’s New House” in the September 1915 issue of Architectural Record (vol. 38, no. 3). Wilcox also describes the club library’s bookplate in Some American College Bookplates (1915, p. 370):
“The Yale undergraduate's justified, most positive insistence that learning should not be made quite repellant, is represented here; and we feel that this artist, of real and restrained talent, succeeded in approximating, pictorially, the thought of younger men by placing between the Yale University seal and the plainly written Yale Club name, a figure, not one bit idealized, in fact not quite realized—representing calm outlook upon life.”
The Yale Bookplate Collection comprises graphic works, such as this ex-libris from the Collection of Bookplates by Edwin Davis French, in addition to both archival and published materials related to bookplates.