SACO Coordinating Committee
The SACO Coordinating Committee is responsible for coordinating the Library's ongoing participation in the Subject Authority Cooperative (SACO) component of the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC). The SACO program allows catalog librarians to propose new and updated authority records for inclusion in Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) and the LC/SACO Authority File.
- determine and document local SACO policies and procedures
- recommend changes to local SACO policies and procedures
- sponsor LCSH and SACO training for catalog librarians
- review Yale's SACO proposals (upon request)
- keep current with national developments relating to the SACO program
- draft official Library responses to proposed rule changes that would affect SACO practice
- work with the Cataloging Corrdinating Council and the Catalog Policy and Documentation Committee to determine and document local policies and procedures for subject analysis
The Committee will report to the Cataloging Coordinating Council. Its chair and members will be appointed to open-ended terms. Preference will be given to catalog librarians who have made successful SACO proposals, been involved in professional activities that focus on LCSH (e.g. ALCTS/CCS Subject Analysis Committee), or expressed a strong interest in subject analysis issues.
- Christopher Smith, Catalog Librarian, Rare Book Team (2005- ) (chair 2008- )
- Steven Arakawa, Catalog Librarian for Training and Documentation (2005- )
- Daniel Lovins, Metadata and Emerging Technologies Librarian (2005- )
- Nancy Lyon, Archivist, Manuscripts & Archives (2005- )
- Rick Sarcia , Catalog & Metadata Services Operations Management Librarian, NACO Coordinator (2007- )
- Huei-Ju (Polly) Chang, Principal Catalog Librarian, East Asia Library (2008- )
- Tachtorn (Wheat) Meier, Catalog Librarian, Copy Cataloging Team (2010- )
- SACO Workflow at Yale
- SACO Headings Contributed by Yale Catalogers
- SACO + Subjects section of the Authority Control at Yale website has links to documents outside Yale.
- The SACO Coordinating Committee generally meets the last Wednesday of every month from 3-4:30 p.m. in SML 409.