The collection’s primary function is to support research and teaching of the Department of Astronomy. The collection also supports the Yale Center for Astronomy and Astrophysics, which draws researchers from the Department of Physics as well as from astronomy.
The Department of Astronomy administers its own small departmental library, which focuses on collecting print monographs and serials across astronomy and astrophysics and also acquires online journals. The Astronomy Library collection does not circulate, although it is open to the public during administrative staff hours in the department.
Departments/disciplines/programs/subject areas supported
Departments and Programs
- Department of Astronomy
- Department of Physics
- Yale Center for Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Department of Geology & Geophysics
- Exoplanets and planetary science
- Extragalactic astronomy
- Galactic astronomy
- High-energy astrophysics
- ISM (interstellar medium) and star formation
- Solar and stellar astrophysics
The departments offer graduate and undergraduate degrees and have active faculty researchers.
A complete listing of astronomy research areas may be viewed here: http://astronomy.yale.edu/research
Formats and materials acquired generally
- Government documents (NASA and NOAA only)
- Journals (online preferred)
- Monographs (academic and trade press preferred; print and online)
- Non-journal serial publications
- Reference data, handbooks, dictionaries, and other materials (print acquired or maintained in reference when an online version is unavailable)
Formats and materials collected selectively or by request
- Conference proceedings
- Audiovisual materials
- Non-reference data (collected in conjunction with Science and Social Science Data Librarians and other selectors as appropriate; includes online databases and data that may be housed on a local server)
- Non-Yale theses and dissertations (gifts evaluated and acquired occasionally)
Materials not collected
- Hardware and software manuals
- Instructor’s materials
- Juvenile works
- Preprints (non-arXiv)
English and Western European languages are preferred. Other languages are collected in collaboration with the Astronomy Department and International Collections librarians.
Chronological and geographical focus
Most acquisitions focus on current publications.
No geographic areas are excluded.
Collaborations within Yale
- Science and Social Science Data Librarians and Subject Specialists (Center for Science and Social Science Information)
- Astronomy Department Library Faculty Representatives and Library Contact
- International Collections and Research Services
- Bass Library
- Medical Historical Library
The Astronomy Department Library has collaborated with the Astrophysics Data System (ADS) and Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in the past, primarily to digitize historical materials and make them available on the ADS.