The collection’s primary function is to support research and teaching programs in the Psychology Department, which offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees. The department’s primary research areas are behavioral neuroscience, clinical, cognitive, developmental, and social/personality psychology.
A small collection of social work materials as well as most clinical materials are held at the Harvey Cushing/John Hay Whitney Medical Library. The Medical Historical Library holds a unique collection of rare medical books and journals. The letters of Stanley Milgram and audio-video tapes of his famous experiments are available in Manuscripts and Archives.
Departments/disciplines/programs/subject areas supported
Subject areas include: clinical psychology, cognitive psychology, developmental psychology, neuroscience, and social/personality psychology. Scholars include faculty, research scientists, postdoctoral fellows, graduate students, and undergraduates in Psychology and other programs (e.g., the School of Management, Interdepartmental Neuroscience Program).
Formats and materials acquired generally
- Scholarly journals (online preferred)
- Monographs (print and online)
- Collections of essays
- Conference proceedings
- Material in the field of testing: including reference materials, some textbooks, and major research studies
Formats and materials collected selectively or by request
- Works addressed to a popular, non-scholarly audience are collected on a highly selective basis.
- Textbooks requested by faculty for specific courses are purchased and put on reserve; otherwise, textbooks are purchased only in special circumstances, such a demonstrated need for overview sources on a particular subject, or for reference purposes.
Formats and materials not collected
- Instructor’s materials
- Juvenile works
Most materials are collected in English and some in Western European languages. Selected works in other languages are purchased by request and some writings of major psychologists are acquired in the original language.
Chronological and geographical focus
The library purchases mainly current material and selectively collects works related to classical theorists and research.
Collaborations within Yale
Clinical materials and bibliographic data on tests and assessments are collected and maintained by the Harvey Cushing/John Hay Whitney Medical Library.