Search FSC Video Collection
The Yale Film Study Center's video holdings—including DVDs, Blu-rays, VHS tapes, and LaserDiscs—are listed in our OpenBiblio database. DO NOT use Orbis or Quicksearch for Film Study Center videos at this time, as the holdings listing there are incomplete. Call us at 203.432.0148 to reserve items from this collection.
Guide to Searching the Database:
- Searching by Title: Place article at the end (e.g. Gold Rush, The; Dolce Vita, La). Or the article can be eliminated (e.g. Gold Rush; Dolce Vita). Searching with the article at the beginning will not produce any results.
- Searching by Director: Enter the director's name in the format Last Name, First Name (e.g. Lee, Spike). Entering director in the format First Name Last Name (e.g. Spike Lee) will not produce any results. You can enter just the last name (e.g. Lee). But best results will be obtained if you enter Last Name, First Name, because in many cases, there will be more than one director with the same last name.
- Entering both the title and the director will produce the best results.
- Searching by Year: "During" means one specific year, e.g. 2012. "Between" means all films in the collection released in the range of years entered: thus "Between" 1964 and 1966 will produce a list of all films in the collection released in 1964, 1965 and 1966.
- Searching by Cast: Enter the name of the performer in the format First Name Last Name (e.g. Meryl Streep; Humphrey Bogart). Please note that not all performers have been entered in the database.
Video collection format information:
|VHS (R)||Restricted VHS videotapes (see note below)|
|V (PAL) (R)||VHS tapes in the PAL format|
|V (SECAM) (R)||VHS tapes in the Secam format|
|VHS (REF)||Non-circulating VHS (see note below)|
|DVD||Digital video discs|
|DVD (R)||Restricted DVDs (see note below)|
|DVD (REF)||Non-circulating DVD (see note below)|
|BLU-RAY||BLU-RAY discs: High Definition format|
|BLU-RAY (R)||Restricted BLU-RAY discs (see note below)|
LaserDiscs and any media designated VHS (R), DVD (R), or Blu-ray (R) in our database are not available for circulation to students. These items are circulated only to faculty and teaching assistants. Students are welcome to view these Restricted items at the Film Study Center.