The Yale Library launched its Articles+ service in August of 2013. Powered by Summon, Articles+ lets patrons search concurrently across thousands of journals and newspapers. This service provides an easy, single search of most electronic resources licensed by the Yale University Library. The content includes full-text and abstracts of journal articles, newspapers, and some online reference materials. Users may search Articles+ by keywords or subjects and very quickly be presented with a range of results that can be further refined through filters such as dates, subjects or language. The Articles+ API also feeds our current database A-Z list service.
Library IT, in collaboration with the Summon2.0 Implementation Team and with heavy library staff participation, upgraded the Articles+ service in May 2014. New features include responsive design, discipline facets, topic explorer, suggested librarians and recommended research guides. In the two weeks prior to upgrading, Library IT led several teams of library staff in conducting usability testing with Yale undergraduate and graduate students. A summary report of that testing is linked here.
Future plans for Articles+ for the summer of 2014 and into the fall semester include: further enhancement of the service’s interface in adherence to library usability and visual guidelines, re-branding efforts using new images and domain aliases, enhancement of research guide relevancy ranking, and heavier marketing of the service to library staff, students and faculty through the “Rediscover Discovery” forum to be held August 2014. The Articles+ API will also be used as one of several sources to be searched by the Library’s Unified Search project, powered by Blacklight. A beta version of this project will be available in the fall.
Library IT staff working on the project
Partners / collaborating departments
Electronic Resources Group, Metadata Services, Catalog Management, and public services staff from across the library system.
Summon User Group, Summon 2.0 Implementation Team
- Fall 2013 Articles+ launched
- Spring 2014 Public Service staff explore options in Summon 2.0
- May 2014 Usability testing of Summon2.0 service
- May 2014 Summon 2.0 (now Articles+) live, linked from library home page
- August 2014 Rediscover Discovery Forum
- August 2014 Disciplines updated to mirror subjects in Libguides where possible
- Fall 2014 Image and URL re-branding take effect
- Fall 2014 Add Articles+ to unified search interface (soft launch)
- Summer 2015 Review fultext linking and menu
- Fall 2015 Make unified discovery the default entry to Articles+