The Irving S. Gilmore Music Library
General Contact Info [Staff Directory]
Yale University Library
120 High Street
PO Box 208240
New Haven, CT 06520-8240 USA
Phone: (203) 432-0492 FAX: (203) 432-7339
General and Reference Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Issues with circulation, late fees, lost materials: MusicCirc@yale.edu
The Music Library is located within Sterling Memorial Library; the entrance is on the first floor next to the Periodical Reading Room. There are three levels. A floor plan is available at the circulation desk. This page focuses on locations within the library. See also our pages under Services.
Library room numbers:
ML1-4 are in the basement, ML100-115 are on the main level, ML101M-108M are on the mezzanine level.
Locations within the Music Library:
- CD-ROMS are in closed stacks behind the circulation desk;
- the circulating stacks of books and scores are in the basement;
- course reserves are on the main level near the circulation desk; recordings on reserve are shelved behind the desk;
- the Historical Sound Recordings reference collection is in the basement (beyond the LC class B-L, N-Z regular and + sections)
- the new books shelf is on the main level near the circulation desk;
- the Periodicals Collection is split: current periodicals are on the main floor on display shelves and bound volumes are in basement (ML4);
- the Reference Collection of books and scores is on the mezzanine level; overflow Yale class reference materials, and M2 or M3 reference sets are in the basement (ML4);
- the Recordings Collection is in closed stacks behind the Circulation Desk.
- are on the main level and the mezzanine;
Printers, scanners & workstations
- a Quick Lookup Computer Workstation is just inside the entrance;
- Public Workstations may be found on the main level and in the basement;
- two public scanners are on the main floor, one near the circulation desk, and the other in the alcove between ML112 and ML115;
- a scanner/printer is in the alcove between Rooms ML112 and ML115 on the main floor.
- the Circulation Desk is on the main level just inside the entrance;
- the Office Suite is on the mezzanine level;
- Reference Offices are on the main floor, beyond the circulation desk.
- reading tables and armchairs in the Reference Room on the mezzanine level;
- student carrels and lockers in the basement stacks and periodical room;
- the Harold E. Samuel Recordings Listening Area with listening stations (with various combinations of CD players, cassette tape players, and turntables), four video & DVD stations, and a Clavinova on the main level;
- the Rare Books Reading Room on the mezzanine level, inside the office suite.
- two seminar rooms on the main level (ML106 and ML107) and
- the Historical Sound Recordings Seminar Room in the basement.