If you have found this page, you are most likely one of my Personal Librarian students. Hello! Working with people one-on-one to master research strategies, teaching workshops, and answering questions/troubleshooting problems from constituents are my favorite parts of being a librarian. I am also a Pierson fellow, so many of you are probably Piersonites!
What kinds of skills do I have?
The "How can I help you?" section is standardized text. As I am a science librarian in my other professional work at Yale, I have skill sets that might be helpful to you, depending on your project(s):
- Mendeley (which is a citation/reference manager much like, but quite different from, RefWorks)
- Citing when writing in (La)TeX (and LaTeX is a typesetting system commonly used in math-heavy disciplines)
- Databases such as Web of Science, Scopus, the ADS (astronomy), and GeoScienceWorld
- Google Scholar and other Google products (advanced searching tricks)
- RSS feeds and readers
- Research impact/scholarly communication concepts
- Maps (how to gain access to the print ones and where to find digital geospatial data)
I look forward to meeting you!
How can I help you?
- Keep you informed with periodic e-mail messages highlighting new resources and programs especially for students, as well as notices and timely reminders, such as extended Library hours during Reading Week and finals
- Answer your questions about Library policies, procedures and services, such as RefWorks workshops and Borrow Direct
- Assist with finding information for your research assignments by helping you articulate your research question, identify the best sources, and formulate your search strategy
- Support you even when you're not around (on vacation, or away from Yale doing research)
- Help you when you don't know where to start, or you can't think of what to do next
Things I don't do (but I'll help you find out who can)
- Set up your computer (i.e. NetIDs, VPN)
- Do your research, make photocopies or write your paper for you (well, we won't find someone to write your paper - that part's up to you - but we can put you in touch with The Writing Center or a writing tutor)