Reference Law Librarian
Selector for these areas:
Law Library United States | Popular Reading and Cinema
Jordan Jefferson is the Coordinating Librarian for Research Services and Lecturer in Legal Research at the Yale Law School. She teaches Advanced Legal Research and Research Methods in American Law. In addition to teaching, Jordan also provides research services to students, faculty, and members of the Yale community, manages the daily operation of the reference desk, and participates in design and creation of library outreach initiatives and exhibits.
Jordan is a member of the American Association of Law Libraries, Southern New England Law Librarians Association, and the Law Librarians of New England. She is the current President of SNELLA, was the first Chair of the Professional Engagement, Growth, and Advancement Special Interest Section of the American Association of Law Libraries, and a member of the AMPC for the 2017 Annual Meeting in Austin, Texas. In addition to her chair and president duties, Jordan and has participated in a number of caucuses, chapter, SIS level programs. A list of Jordan’s publications and presentations can be found below.
Jordan’s professional interests include emerging and educational technologies, assessment and usability, web development, reference services, and instruction.
Prior to joining the Yale Law Library she was the Student Services Librarian at Duncan School of Law in Knoxville, Tennessee. Jordan earned her MLIS for the University of Washington, her J.D. from the University of La Verne College of Law, and her B.S. in Communications from the University of Evansville.
When not being a law librarian she enjoys spending time with her family, baking, reading, and geeking out over Marvel, Supernatural, Firefly, Buffy, and Doctor Who.
- Do It Yourself: Self-Motivation and Creating Your Own Leadership Opportunities for Professional Growth (with Cate Kellett), MILLENNIAL LEADERSHIP IN LIBRARIES (Ashley K. Chase, ed.) (forthcoming 2017).
- The Quandary of Digital Rights and Information Privacy (with Roberta Studwell), in DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT: A LIBRARIANS’ GUIDE (Carla P. Wale, ed.) (October 2016).
- Instilling a Service Focus in Student Workers (with Mike VanderHeijden), in STELLAR CUSTOMER SERVICE: TRAINING LIBRARY STAFF TO EXCEED EXPECTATIONS (Mou Chakraborty, ed.) (September, 2016)
- "Promoting Wellness through the Law Library", AALL Spectrum Blog (Mar. 13, 2015, 3:04 PM), http://www.aallnet.org/Blogs/spectrum-blog/56222.html.
- "What’s In A Name?", AALL Spectrum Blog (Sept. 12, 2014, 2:04 PM), http://www.aallnet.org/Blogs/spectrum-blog/54196.html.
- "Gen X/Gen Y In Transition" (Andrea Alexander and Trez Drake), 18(7) AALL SPECTRUM 13-15 (2014).
- "Attitude is Everything: Surveying the perceptions and attitudes of embedded law librarians." (Andrea Alexander) AALL Spectrum 17: (2013): 21.
- "We’re Going to Make You Popular: Popular Collections in the Modern Academic Library." Legal Reference Services Quarterly 32 : (2013): 78.
- "Cliff Jumping: Why the reward is worth the risk." (Katherine Marsh 17(2) 9 (Nov. 2012) .) AALL Spectrum 17:2 (2012): 9.
- "Little Girls Lost: Can the International Community Protect Girl Soldiers?." University of La Verne Law Review 29: (2008): 219-244.
- Poster Session | American Association of Law Libraries, Annual Meeting (July 2017) | Pretty Cunning, Don’t Ya Think?: Strategies for Self-Directed Professional Development
- Presenter| Collaborative Tools for Law Practice | Connecticut Bar Association (Sept. 2016).
- Co-presenter | Linking Learning Outcomes to Formative Assessment | American Association for Paralegal Educators (Nov. 2014).
- Presenter| Research Management- Zotero | Reference, Instruction, and Outreach Forum (August 2014).
- Co-presenter | Connecting the Dots: Improving User Experience through Continuous Feedback and Action| Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction (CALI) Conference (June 2014).
- Co-presenter | What’s in Your Toolbox?: Tools to Organize Your Research, Scholarship, or Professional Writing| American Association of Law Libraries Webinar (May 2014).
- Presenter | Hacking the Litchfield Law School | Connecticut Library Association, Annual Conference (April 2014).
- Moderator | Using Google Analytics to Inform Decision Making | Yale ITS Unconference (Nov. 2013).
- Speaker | Innovation and Inspiration for New Technologies- Analytics and Usability in Web Design | Law Librarians of New England, Fall Meeting (Oct. 2013).
- Poster Session | American Association of Law Libraries, Annual Meeting (July 2013) | Assessing for the Future: Using LSSSE Consortium Questions for Comparative Evaluation | Prize Buckets, Pop Culture Shots, and Other Ways to Remind Students Legal Research is All Business Upfront and All Party Down the Back!
- Presenter | Cool Tools Café American Association of Law Libraries, Annual Meeting (July 2013) | Happily Ever(note) After!
- Co-Presenter | Advocate Your Value: Practical Marketing for Busy Librarians- Publisher | American Association of Law Libraries, Annual Meeting, Preconference Workshop (July 2013).
- Co-presenter | I Shot the Serif: Creating Effective and Attractive Marketing Materials for Your Law Library | Southeastern Chapter of American Association of Law Libraries, Annual Meeting (March 2013).
- Moderator | Zen and the Art of Self-Assessment: The Law Library's Role in Creating and Conducting Assessment | Southeastern Chapter of American Association of Law Libraries, Annual Meeting (March 2013).
- Poster Session | American Association of Law Libraries, Annual Meeting (July 2012) | Blueprint to the Bluebook: Creating LibGuides for Modular Learning in Legal Education.
- Presenter| Cool Tools Café American Association of Law Libraries, Annual Meeting (July 2012) | Collaboration Station: What’s Your Destination? Teambox Collaboration App | Doceri: An Interactive White Board for Your iPad.
- Co-presenter | From DIY to Semi-Homemade: Should You Integrate Third Party Applications Into Your Services? | Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction (CALI) Conference (June 2012).
- Co-presenter | Looking Up: Library Leadership and Management from the Perspective of New Librarians | Southeastern Chapter of American Association of Law Libraries, Annual Meeting (March 2012).
- Poster Session | American Association of Law Libraries, Annual Meeting (July 2011) | Restoring Law and Order: Inventory Control in a Public Academic Law Library.
- Presenter | We Will Not Be Ignored: Integrating Fan-Created Works into the Traditional Copyright Classroom | Washington College of Law 6th Annual IP/Gender Symposium: Female Fan Culture and Intellectual Property (December 2009).