Korea Resources at the Divinity Library
The Divinity Library holds both original format and microform collections of manuscript and archival materials related to missionary work and the Christian church in Korea. These records are of use both in providing information about events, movements, and institutions in Korea, and in providing insight into the Western societies that sent, supported, and were embodied in the missionaries.
Types of missionary records:
- Personal letters, diaries, writings, memorabilia of individuals working in an area
- Letters, reports, and financial information related to the mission agencies for which they were working
- Periodicals and reports distributed by those agencies
- Narratives and memoirs written by missionaries
How to find archival materials:
- Browse Divinity holdings
- Yale Finding Aid Database
- ArchiveGrid (under “Databases and Article Searching”)
- MUNDUS (British)
Samples of collections held at the Divinity Library:
- Arthur Judson Brown Papers (RG02): As administrative secretary of the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions from 1895 to 1929, Brown visited the Korea mission and was in correspondence with missionaries.
- Norman Found Papers (RG30): Found was a Methodist medical missionary in Korea 1921-1930s and Professor of Internal Medicine, Severance Union Medical College
- Frank and Bertha Ohlinger Papers (RG23): The Ohlingers were Methodist missionaries in China and Korea (1870-1911).
- Archives of the United Board for Christian Higher Education in Asia (RG11a, RG11b, etc.) include records of Ewha Women’s University, Yonsei University, and other Korean colleges and universities.
- Archives of the World Student Christian Federation (RG46) include documentation of the student Christian movement in Korea (1910s-1920s).
- Archives of the Korean Mission (Anglican)
- Microfilm collection: Film Ms527
- The records of this Anglican mission cover the period 1889 to 1987.
- Archives of the Board of Missions of the Methodist Episcopal Church
- Microfilm collection: Film Ms170
- The Methodist Episcopal Church was an American mission agency.
- Archives of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A., Board of Foreign Missions Microfilm collection: Film Ms.114
For more information, contact the Divinity Library Special Collections Librarian, Christopher Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 203 432 5289.
Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 3:46pm