What is the Personal Librarian Program?
It’s great to have your own personal librarian! The research process, including the library and the library website, can be intimating and overwhelming. I’m here to help you through it. Librarians are amazing! We can find all kinds of things you didn’t know about and help you impress your professors. More importantly, we can reduce the time you will spend researching your papers. Before becoming a librarian, I was a professor of Spanish & Portuguese literature. I’ve traveled all over the world and have lived in Spain, Brazil and Germany, but I originally hail from Wisconsin. I am a Fellow of Ezra Stiles - Go Moose! I would love to meet with you anytime to discuss your research or just to chat. I often eat lunch at Ezra and drop in quite frequently. I’m more than happy to meet with you in Sterling, EZ, at Blue State, Ashley’s or anywhere. (I have an amazing office with lots of stuff from all over Latin America and Spain). If you prefer, you can just shoot me an email and I’ll get right back to you. Remember there are no dumb questions. I’m here to help.
How can I help you?
- Keep you informed with periodic e-mail messages highlighting new resources and programs especially for students, as well as notices and timely reminders, such as extended Library hours during Reading Week and finals
- Answer your questions about Library policies, procedures and services, such as RefWorks workshops and Borrow Direct
- Assist with finding information for your research assignments, by helping you articulate your research question, identify the best sources and formulate your search strategy
- Support you even when you're not around (on vacation, or away from Yale doing research)
- Help you when you don't know where to start, or you can't think of what to do next
Things I don't do (but I'll help you find out who can)
- Set up your computer (i.e. NetIDs, VPN)
- Do your research, make photocopies or write your paper for you (well, we won't find someone to write your paper - that part's up to you - but we can put you in touch with The Writing Center or a writing tutor)