Permission to Publish
Yale University will supply permission to publish from collection items only when Yale University is the copyright holder, which includes most testimonies in the Fortunoff Video Archive. We cannot supply permission to publish in any other circumstances.
Publications for which permission is required include any print use, conference papers, music compositions or other works of art, and dissertations submitted for a degree at an academic institution.
For use of any audio or video, a licensing agreement is required. Please contact Fortunoff staff for additional information.
To request publication permission based on these terms and conditions you must:
- Contact Fortunoff staff to discuss your request, and whether or not fees are applicable.
- Fortunoff staff will supply an Application for Permission to Publish Fortunoff Video Archive Collection Material for which Yale University is the Copyright Holder
- If fees are applicable, you will also be sent an invoice.
- Permission granted by Yale University is non-exclusive and does not remove the author’s or publisher’s responsibility to guard against infringement of rights that may be held by others.
- Fees for permission to publish collection material for which Yale University is the copyright holder are separate from fees charged for supplying digital facsimiles of the same material.
See the U.S. Copyright Office website for additional information on copyright, and also the Library of Congress for information on privacy and publicity rights. Other resources relating to copyright that may be useful to researchers:
- Copyright Term and the Public Domain in the United States (created by Peter B. Hirtle in 1999; maintained and updated annually by the Copyright Information Center, Cornell University).
- Kevin L. Smith, JD, Owning and Using Scholarship: An IP [Intellectual Property] Handbook for Teachers and Researchers (Association of College and Research Libraries, 2014).
- Intellectual Property Working Group, Society of American Archivists, Copyright and Unpublished Material (Society of American Archivists, 2014).