Whether to class-together analyze an original multipart is an original cataloger decision. Generally, an unnumbered set is not a good candidate for c.t. analyzed, although some exceptions have been recorded by LC. LC considers the following types to be "not distinctive," i.e. the set would not be analyzed:
- an alphabetic or numeric division ("part 1," "part 2;" "A," "B," etc.)
- chronological subdivisions ("from 1918 to 1935," "from 1936 to the present;" "14th century," "15th century;" "early times," "present times," etc.)
- alphabetic subdivisions ("A-L," "M-Z")
- geographic subdivisions ("New England," "Midwest;" "Great Britain," "Scandinavia;" etc.)
- phrases that omit an essential piece of information found in the collective title ("teeth," "fossilized footprints," etc., when the collective title is "Dinosaur relics.")
- general terms such as "atlas," "glossary," "index," etc.
Source: Series Training for PCC Participants; p. 133 (based on LCRI 25.6A) rev. Aug. 2002 Note that since 2012 LC policy has been to catalog multiparts as either unanalyzed collection sets or classed-separately.
If the cataloger decision is to class together but not analyze, no SAR is created. (Local Yale decision)
If the decision is to class together and also analyze, the following procedures should be used.
1. On the national level SAR,
- Record the LC call number in the 050 field (with indicators _4) if LC classification is used
- Do not record local modifications in 050, e.g., oversize, Folio, (LC).
- ‡5 DPCC should be in fields 642 and 645 unless the multipart began publication prior to 1981.
- Yale MARC 21 organization code ("NUC code") must be entered in ‡5 of fields 050, 642, 644, 645, and 646. The Yale ‡5 code is always the last subfield
- See also Yale Policies for Series Authority Records
2. Export the record to Orbis after the SAR has been produced.
3. Add the Voyager location code and the local call number in the 090 field in ORBIS. Note that in Voyager, only catalog librarians are authorized in the profiles to update SARs.
EXAMPLE. RDA modifications to the original SAR would be: remove ‡f 1995 from the preferred title and variants.
|010||‡a nr 99039329|
|040||‡a CtY ‡b eng ‡e rda ‡c CtY|
|050||4||‡a B765.T52 ‡b I8 1995 ‡5 CtY|
|090||‡a SML: B765 T52 I8 1995 (LC)|
|100||0||‡a Thomas, ‡c Aquinas, Saint, ‡d 1225?-1274. ‡t Works. ‡l Italian|
|400||0||‡a Thomas, ‡c Aquinas, Saint, ‡d 1225?-1274. ‡t Collana "Opere di San Tommaso"|
|400||0||‡a Thomas, ‡c Aquinas, Saint, ‡d 1225?-1274. ‡t Opere di San Tommaso|
|430||0||‡a Collana "Opere di San Tommaso"|
|430||0||‡a Opere di San Tommaso|
|640||1||‡a Vol. 1 pub. in 1995 ‡z OCLC, Dec. 14, 1999|
|642||‡a 9 ‡5 DPCC ‡5 CtY|
|643||‡a Bologna ‡b ESD|
|644||‡a f ‡5 CtY|
|645||‡a t ‡5 DPCC ‡5 CtY|
|646||‡a c ‡5 CtY|
|670||‡a Commento all'Etica nicomachea di Aristotele, c1998: ‡b ser. t.p. (Collana "Opere di San Tommaso")|
Another example may be found on the Bibliographic Records for Monographic Series & Multipart Monographs on Standing Order page.
4. The change in LC/PCC policy re: SARs for unnumbered multipart items is unlikely to have any impact on classed together analyzed sets. See below, however, on SARs for Classed Separately multiparts.
COVER RECORD (Bibliographic & MFHD):
1. Complete the cataloging for the multipart.
2. MFHD. Enter the call number, classification decision, and volume holdings using the following pattern:
‡b <location code> ‡h <class number> ‡i <rest of call number> ‡x anlyz
‡8 0 ‡a <volume holdings>
‡b sml ‡h DA30 ‡i .H652 1988 ‡m Oversize ‡x anlyz
|866||4||1||‡8 0 ‡a Bd.1-Bd.5|
1. Complete the cataloging for the analytic. Analyzed titles must have correctly formatted tracings: 490 1/830 fields. Correct tracings will insure that each title is correctly listed under the multipart cover record in Web Voyage.
2. MFHD 852 must include the vol. number of the analytic. If the volume designation includes a caption in the cover record 866, include the caption in the call number of the analytic.
|852||0||0||‡b sml ‡h DA30 ‡i .H652 1988 Bd.5 ‡m Oversize|
3. Verify that volume holdings on the cover record have been updated for the analytic volume being cataloged.
4. Under LC PCC PS 126.96.36.199 Monographic Series/Multipart Monograph: Title Lacking or Dependent Title, if a multipart is analyzed in full or classed separately, and a volume lacks an individual title other than the comprehensive title or has a title dependent on a comprehensive title, create a record for the volume, but do not use a devised title. Instead:
a. Transcribe the collective title of the multipart monograph in 245 ‡a
b. Transcribe numbering, if present, in 245 ‡n
c. Transcribe a dependent title, if present, in 245 ‡p
d. Do not make a 490 field
Volume number only:
|245||0||0||‡a Studies in gypsy lore. ‡n Volume 25.|
Volume number and dependent title:
|245||0||0||‡a Recent trends in elementary education. ‡n Volume 1, ‡p Introduction.|
Keep in mind that LC doesn't do classed-together analyzed multiparts, so no example is given in the PS, but what LC applies to monographic series would apply to c.t. analyzed multipart monographs.
If the multipart is fully analyzed:
- Each item record must be linked to its individual analytical title record.
- No volume number is entered in ENUM (the label program will get the vol. number from the 852 field of the analytic).
- No items should be linked to the multipart cover record.
See also the section on Multipart Series Standing Orders in Bibliographic Records for Monographic Series & Multipart Monographs on Standing Order.
CLASSED-TOGETHER: PARTIALLY ANALYZED
If the multipart is partially analyzed, i.e, any situation where one of the volumes recorded in 505 is "[without special title]":
a. On the SAR. (Only if Yale is creating the SAR; not necessary to update a previously created SAR.)
|644||‡a f ‡5 CtY ‡d analyzable parts|
b. Use part anlyz instead of anlyz in 852 ‡x
‡b sml ‡h DA30 ‡i .H652 1988+‡m Oversize ‡x part anlyz
|866||4||1||‡8 0 ‡a Bd.1-Bd.5|
c. All item records should be linked to the multipart cover record. This practice will eliminate the problem of having some items linked to individual analytical records and other items linked to the cover record.
d. Volume number is entered in ENUM. Note that in current practice, captions are now used: ENUM Bd.5
e. In those rare cases where the multipart is itself part of a classed together series, the number in ENUM should be the volume number of the multipart, not the volume number of the classed together series. See under Classed Together Analyzed Original Cataloging. Item Records. SML practice: In these situations only, the call number should be written on the verso t.p. (the vol. number will correspond to the monographic series, not to the bibliographic vol. number) and the volume should be flagged for the attention of SML Preparations.
f. For special procedures associated with adding partially analyzed sets, see Classed together analyzed. Added volumes. #5.