The shelflisting order following applies to LC classification call numbers.
1. The initial sequence is by the CLASS NUMBER.
- The primary sequence for class numbers is alphabetical. A single letter precedes double or triple letters: B before C; B before BX. Note: special folio numbers were intended to file at the beginning of each class, but the online catalog arrangement may not be able to arrange this successfully.
- Within each letter sequence, the order is from smaller number to larger number:
QB139 before QB145
QC718.7 before QC718.8
2. If other call numbers have the same class number, the sequence is determined by the CUTTER NUMBER.
- The primary sequence is alphabetical:
PR2983.K56 before PR2983.L4
- Within each letter sequence, cutter digits expand in decimal order. Example of a decimal sequence:
A hypothetical sequence determined by the cutter number:
When the class number is associated with 2 cutters, subarrange by the first cutter and then subarrange by the second cutter (or book number):