_____ B1. Is the cataloging copy for the SAME EDITION? Verify the following:
___ 020 Verify that the same ISBN number on the book is recorded in the 020 field. A 020 for the paperback edition may also be on the record
___ 245 Every word in the 245 must be on the title page unless the word is in [brackets]. The converse is not true; not every word on the title page will appear in the 245 field. Edition information should appear in the 250 field; series information should appear in the 440 or 490 fields; other non-title related information may appear in the notes [5xx]. Not all punctuation in the 245 field will necessarily appear on the title page. Note that the 240 field [uniform title] is not part of the verification procedure.
___ 250 Check for information about the edition on the title page and on the verso of the title page.
- For non-Anglo-American publications, the edition statement is sometimes on the colophon, which is usually on the last page.
- Check for edition information even if there is no 250 field on your record.
- If the edition information on the book differs from the edition information on the printout, the cataloging copy is not the same edition.
- A later printing is generally considered the same edition, but only if there is no evidence of revision, e.g. "Second printing with corrections."
___ 260 Make sure your record has the same place of publication and publisher. The date of publication must be the same.
- A later printing is acceptable if there is no evidence of revision.
- A revised printing--e.g. "Second printing, with corrections"--is cataloged as a separate edition; variant edition cataloging is only performed by authorized staff.
- If the decision is to process the book as a later printing, leave the original publication date "as is" in 260 if there is a later printing date on the book.
___ 300 Check pagination, illustrations, and size.
- ‡a : the last page of each paging sequence should be recorded in subfield ‡a.
- ‡b: illustrations will be recorded in the second (‡b) subfield.Verify that there are illustrations if there is a ‡b subfield, but do not re-count the illustrations if numbered.
- ‡c: glance at the third (‡c) subfield to see whether the book is oversize. SML 28-39 cm. height.
- Width is not recorded in the bibliographic record for the most part; keep in mind that SML width oversize is 20-29 cm. SML folio oversize is 40 cm. or more height; 30 cm. or more width).
- Only re-measure if you suspect the size is incorrect. Accept variations of about a centimeter or more either way; remember that size is always rounded up to the next centimeter.
- If there is a subfield ‡e for accompanying material, verify to make sure that the accompanying material is present. Accompanying material is sometime recorded in notes (5xx) rather than 300 ‡e.
___ 4xx Verify that the series statement on the printout appears somewhere on the book. In some cases, the form of access used for the series may differ from the form of the series as it appears in the 4xx field; the access form will appear in the 8xx field and is not part of the descriptive verification. (But access form is important for authority checking.) If the record has a 490 0 series statement, retrieve the authority record and follow the tracing decision on the record.
- There are special procedures for books with accompanying loose plates, microfiche, and audio-visual materials like CD-ROMs, CD sound recordings, and audiocassettes; see instructions under E. CALL NUMBER AND LOCATION.
- If the accompanying material is not recorded on the bib record, consult with a catalog librarian.
_____ B2. Reproduction vs Original. If you are processing a photocopy for a location, do not consider the photocopy to be the equivalent of the original. If the bib record is for the original, consult with a catalog librarian. Conversely, if you have a copy of the original, and the cataloging is for a reproduction (microfilm, photocopy, electronic resource), do not consider your book as matching the bibliographic record.
Detailed policies and procedures for member copy at: Member copy checklist