In addition to encouraging researchers to use a camera in our reading room to take their own photographs of collection material in lieu of note taking (we have a digital camera available for use if needed), Manuscripts and Archives provides fee-based reproduction services for collection material for personal research use, under the fair use clause of United States copyright law, based on the following considerations:
- Compliance with collection donor and other restrictions.
- Size and format of the original item.
- Condition of the original item.
- Staff resources to manage the reproduction request.
Services include supplying high-resolution files of collection materials that have already been digitized and are available in the Manuscripts and Archives Digital Image Database (MADID).
We will provide up to 10 standard copies gratis, while the researcher is using our reading room, contingent on staffing levels and the researcher completing a Reprographics Request form for the copies (see How to Order). We can only offer these 10 free copies with standard letter- or legal-sized paper collection materials. The following information will assist off-site researchers, or those who are on-site in our reading room and require more than 10 copies, or copies of materials that are oversize or in other formats:
- Formats and Prices provides information on reproduction formats available and corresponding fees. Please note that Manuscripts and Archives cannot accept cash in its reading room.
- How to Order provides information about the process for requesting reproductions, including the form necessary for submitting a reproduction request.
- See Permission to Publish for information about our limited ability to supply copyright holder permission when needed.
Because of heavy researcher traffic in our reading room, our high-volume reference email service, and limited staffing, we do not offer a RUSH option for reproduction services, so please plan your requests accordingly and contact us well in advance of any deadlines if you have questions about a timeline for a reproduction request you are contemplating. Also, we supply reproductions only electronically, either by Electronic File Transfer (EFT), or by shipping you a CD or DVD, or USB drive (for an additional cost).