On September 6th, the Library released three new features in Quicksearch
A significant upgrade for music searches, there is now an Advanced Search page for the Books+ section of Quicksearch, the library’s single search interface to Yale’s two library catalogs Orbis and Morris. You will find the Advanced Search link to the right of the search box when you are in Books+. In Advanced Search you can
- search up to 5 rows of terms or phrases
- choose from 14 fields per row, or search across All Fields (keyword). Fields include Title, Journal Title, Series, Title Begins With, Author, Subject, Form/Genre, Publication Place, Publisher, Publication Year, ISBN, ISSN, Call Number, or Location
- connect rows with Boolean operators AND, OR, and NOT
You may also limit on the opening search screen by
- library location
- publication date or date range
After searching, click on Modify Search to edit your search. Use the Reset link to clear your search and start a new advanced search. Further limits (Facets) appear on the left-hand side of the page with search results; click on these Facets to narrow search results.
This powerful search engine brings a new level of sophistication to searching for library materials, and includes features that are not available in Orbis or Morris. For more information see Quicksearch Help.
The Find Databases list is now part of Quicksearch. This new version of the Database List combines the alphabetical browsing of the former A-Z list with the search capabilities of Quicksearch.
Users will now be able to easily find and access online databases by searching for exact titles, subjects, or keywords. The database list includes collections of e-journal and e-books, primary sources, sound and video collections, and abstract and indexing services. You will also find these database records in Books+, in particular when you engage in subject searching.
Access to other online resources has not changed:
- E-journals: You can search for online journals within Quicksearch or on the library homepage under Find eJournals by Title.
- Journal articles: Articles+, which can be used as part of Quicksearch or on its own, brings back article-level search results from across a wide range of journals that are available to the Yale community.
- E-books: Find records for all of Yale’s online books in Quicksearch.
As always, licensed online resources are accessible from off-campus only while using VPN.
References to digitized copies of books and scores in HathiTrust.org now also appear in Quicksearch. These links show up in the holdings box for relevant items, labeled “Available From,” following the holdings for the paper copies in the Yale University Library. The types of links are as follows:
- “Summary Page” links to the HathiTrust catalog record, which lists the copies that have been digitized and the library they are from
- “Full view” links go directly to the digitized content of a book or volume
- “Limited (search-only)” links allow searching across digital content, though not access to the full-text. Use Yale’s print copy, or if not available, request a copy through Borrow Direct or Interlibrary Loan (ILL).
For more about HathiTrust, see http://guides.library.yale.edu/ebooks/hathitrust.