Yale Library Online Remote Access Services
VPN and remote access
Scanning and digitization
Yale ID holders may request digital scans of general collection library materials from Sterling Library, Gilmore Music Library, Bass Library, Haas Arts Library, and the Library Shelving Facility. Use the “Request Scan of Article/Chapter” in Orbis and Quicksearch. Scanning and digitation is resuming in July for special collections materials from the Beinecke Library, Manuscripts and Archives, and Music Library Special Collections to support fall teaching and research. Plans are being finalized for resumption of digitization and scanning of special collections at other Yale libraries. Contact individual repositories to discuss your course-support and research needs.
Schedule a research consultation via email, Zoom, or phone, or email a librarian directly.
- Subject specialists/department liaisons
- Medicine, nursing, and public health librarians
- Personal Librarians for Yale College students
- Divinity School Personal Librarians
Schedule a Primary Source and Research Collections Consultation – a joint online (or telephone) consultation with an archivist or curator and a subject expert librarian in your field of study – to learn more about primary sources in all formats available at Yale and elsewhere that could support your research interests.
Watch library how-to videos on the Yale Library YouTube channel, and browse librarian-created research guides on hundreds of topics. Take online workshops. Request consultations on the digital humanities and data, geographic information systems, and/or statistical support services. Send general library questions or comments to Ask Yale Library.
Online collections and e-resources
- Find more than 1 billion items (journal articles, newspaper and magazine articles, citations, abstracts, ebook chapters, and reference works) with Articles+. Remove the “Scholarly & Peer Review” and “Journal Article” limits to see the fullest results set.
- Find nearly 7 million e-books, including 5 million titles through Hathi Trust with Books+.
- Find more than 250,000 unique online journals in Books+ or in the Journal AZ list.
- Find more than 1,000 unique databases (including e-books, journals, archival materials, and streaming media) in the Quicksearch database list.
- Find more than a million images of special collections materials in our digital collections.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, some publishers are giving students free access to some online resources, including textbooks, streaming video, and many other e-resources.
See our guide to temporarily-free publishers’ resources for help accessing these resources.
Find course readings
To access materials placed on reserve for specific courses, go to Canvas.
Make a purchase request
If you require an online book or other e-resource that we do not appear to have, please submit a purchase request and we will try to obtain it.
Keep in touch
Please monitor the COVID-19 updates on the library's website and follow @yalelibrary on Twitter for library-related announcements and updates. Send general library questions or comments to Ask Yale Library.