Sources: LC RDA Training Module 3, BL Guide, RDA 9.14, 11.8
LCT M3 Slide 30:
377 is repeatable (R)
Second indicator “7” if using a specific source, which would then be noted in the ‡2
If using the MARC Code List, second indicator is blank
|‡a||Language code (R) <‡a at the beginning of 377 does not display in OCLC>|
|‡l||Language term (R) (not yet activated)|
|‡2||Source of code (NR)|
Use an authorized code from the MARC Code List for Languages.
Record the language the person/family/corporate body uses in works it creates or contributes to
- e.g. a writer who is a native English speaker but publishes exclusively in German – record “ger” for German
- Hey, ABBA would be an example here. They were Swedish and wrote songs to be sung in English.
- However, for creators of non-verbal works, the language should not be recorded for THOSE works.
NOTE: although RDA does not specify the language attribute for Family names, the MARC Authority Format allows you to record the language of the family.
BL Guide to Name Authorities
- In ‡a, record codes from the MARC Code List for Languages.
- In ‡l, record terms for languages and dialects that are too specific for the code list:377 ‡a nya ‡l Chewa
- Chewa dialect is under the collective code nya (Nyanja)
- 377 can be used for the official language(s) of a country, state or province. Do not generally use 377 for local places such as towns and villages.
- Record only languages of which we have evidence of use in the public sphere. Do not surmise what languages a person might use in private. Do not record a language for an illustrator, photographer or other person working in a non-verbal context, unless they have also written, broadcasted, etc.
- Do not record a language from which a person has translated, unless there is evidence that the person has also created expressions in that language. For example, for a person who has translated Japanese literature into English, but has not published in Japanese, record:
|372||Translating and interpreting ‡a Japanese literature ‡2 lcsh|
|374||Translators ‡2 lcsh|
|377||eng [but not ‡a jpn]|