Special Collections Steering Committee
Reports To: University Librarian and LEC
Committee Charge: As of January 2021: Informed by and responding to the strategic goals set by Yale University Library, the Special Collections Steering Committee articulates the centrality of special collections within the educational and research mission of a global research university and serves as an advocate for special collections within the broader library and University community. The Special Collections Steering Committee will:
- Identify commonalities across Special Collections units.
- Review and assess special collections efforts and capacities within the University Library system.
- Normalize processes in the units around common software tools.
- Organize and document a flexible set of best practices suitable for all special collections units.
- Engage special collections patrons inside and outside Yale University through documentation, websites, exhibitions and programs, and other initiatives.
- Maintain the SharePoint or other intranet site with all appropriate documentation including meeting notes and shared procedures to provide one University Library location for special collections documentation.
- Form and maintain working groups, task forces, and committees that support SCSC’s work and mission.
- Serve as information providers to the University Librarian and LEC on all special collections matters.
- Help foster information sharing and build community among Yale special collections staff, including those in units outside the University Library.
- The charge and membership will be reviewed every two years.
Frequency of Meetings:
- Every other week
Terms of Service:
- Members consist of the directors of each special collections unit in the Yale University Library as well as the units that provide special collections support services. Membership seats for units outside of YUL may be added by permission of the University Librarian.
- The Committee Chair serves for two years; this individual does not need to be an existing member of SCSC. The Chair is appointed by the University Librarian.
- The Committee Secretary serves for 1 year. This position is for a Librarian 1 or 2.
Committees Reporting to SCSC:
- Yale Archival Management Systems Committee
- Archival and Manuscript Description Committee
- Born Digital Archives Working Group
- Access for Special Collections Advisory Group
- Online Exhibitions Committee
- Sterling Memorial Library Exhibits Committee