January 20, 2017
The Gilmore Music Library's renovation project, which started in June 2016, is now complete. The renovated space features:
- A brand new circulation desk area, complete with new comfortable seating, new locations for our computer workstations and self-service printing and scanning facilities, and a new office for Suzanne Lovejoy, Music Librarian for Reference and Instruction.
- Two seminar rooms on the second floor that include large tables, pianos and whiteboards (both plain and stave). These rooms will also soon be installed with state of the art audiovisual systems, that will allow for laptops to be plugged into a large 80" wall mounted monitor along with a high definition audio system. Additional playback capabilities in these rooms will include, audiocassette, Blu-ray, compact disc, DVD, VHS, and vinyl.
- Additional large study tables on the first floor.
- A new front entrance leading from the corridor that now connects the recently opened York Street entrance to Sterling Memorial Library and the main Nave.
- A new exhibition area, outside the front entrance to the Music Library, that provides the ability to display both physical and digital music special collection materials, including, for the first time, audio and video items that will be displayed on two large monitors positioned above new custom built exhibit cases. Our inaugural exhibit, A Riff on Ruff: Yale’s Jazz Ambassador to the World, opens January 27th.
Stop by to see all of this for yourself during our regular hours! Additionally, please join us for an Open House, Jan 27th from 11am-1.30pm, to celebrate with library staff, the launch of the renovated Music Library. Refreshments will be served and tours of the new spaces will be given on an ad-hoc basis.