- Compliance with collection donor and other restrictions.
- Size and format of the original item.
- Condition of the original item.
- Staff resources to manage the reproduction request.
Previously digitized images are available in the Manuscripts and Archives Digital Library on FindIt. Our digitial library includes all of the content formerly found in the Manuscripts and Archives Digital Image Database (MADID). MADID will no longer be available after January 2nd, 2020.
Select the Manuscripts and Archives search facet under Repository in the navigation menu on the left to localize your search to our collections and enter your search terms. If you are familiar with the collection, you may further refine your search with additional facets.
When you find an image suitable for your personal research use, click the thumbnail to access a higher resolution image (typically 72-100dpi with a horizontal pixel dimension of 1500). Right-click to save it to your computer. If you intend to publish this content, please contact us at email@example.com for more information.
If you require a lossless, high resolution TIF of the image, it is available for $5.00. Please see the ordering information below for other fee-based copy services.
The following information will assist researchers, both on- and off-site, in making requests for reproductions:
- Formats and Prices provides information on reproduction formats available and corresponding fees. Please note that Manuscripts and Archives accepts only credit card payment (Visa or Mastercard only) or Yale COAs for reproduction orders. We cannot accept cash or checks.
- How to Order provides information about the process for requesting reproductions, including the form necessary for submitting a reproduction request.
- See Permission to Publish for information about our limited ability to supply copyright holder permission when needed.
Because of heavy researcher traffic in our reading room, our high-volume reference email service, and limited staffing, we do not offer a RUSH option for reproduction services, so please plan your requests accordingly and contact us well in advance of any deadlines if you have questions about a timeline for a reproduction request you are contemplating.
Requests enter our copy queue in the order that payment is received. The turnaround time for most requests is two to four weeks, though preservation concerns may extend this. Note that turnaround times may be doubled during academic recess periods. We supply reproductions electronically by file transfer or by shipping you a USB drive for an additional cost; we do not produce hardcopies of any kind.