Arts Library Special Collections
Please refer to Visiting ALSC for general information about ALSC hours, material requests, etc.
Reading Room Policy
- Each visitor must sign the ALSC log upon entering the Special Collections reception area.
- Each reader must register through the YUL Special Collections online registration system. For detailed information visit Yale University Library Special Collections Guide.
- Readers must fill out a material request form, in person or online, for each visit to the ALSC Reading Room. Requests by telephone are not accepted.
- All coats and bags must be left outside the reading room. There are lockers and a coat closet near the front door for your convenience.
- Notebooks, sketchbooks, laptops, or other note taking devices are permitted. The staff reserves the right to inspect personal papers at any time.
- Only pencils may be used for note taking. Pencils are provided at the front desk if you do not have one.
- Readers may pull any materials on open shelves in the reading room. We request that these items be used only on the reading table. Do not stand and read the materials. Do not reshelve any books, however briefly you consulted the item.
Classes must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance with a Special Collections staff member. Such classes are by appointment only and at the discretion of the staff pending classroom availability and staffing coverage. Every effort will be made to accommodate a preferred time and date, however availability is limited. Classes are limited to 15 participants, including accompanying teachers.
For Yale groups, materials requested by the professor to be used during class time must be submitted to the contact person for approval at least one week before the scheduled class. ALSC staff will pull approved selections so they are ready at the time of the class. ALSC staff strives to make materials available, but reserves the right to limit the use of fragile, in process, or other restricted materials. ALSC staff can provide consultation in the selection of materials with ample notice. The librarians at ALSC are eager to partner with you in developing instruction sessions using the rare and unique materials in our collections to further your teaching goals.
For non-Yale groups, materials to be used during class time must be selected by the teacher of the class and submitted to the ALSC contact person for approval at least one week before the scheduled class. ALSC staff will pull approved selections so they are ready at the time of the class. ALSC staff strives to make materials available, but reserves the right to limit the use of fragile, in process, or other restricted materials. ALSC staff are not able to spend more than one hour creating lists of materials for a class to review. Additionally, ALSC staff are not available to give drop-in tours.
ALSC permits readers to photograph materials, without use of flash or tripod, once they have signed a release form.
When condition permits, scans of materials in the collections can be made by ALSC staff. In some cases, copyright restrictions apply. For detailed information on costs and size restrictions, consult the full policy.
If a faculty member requires digital images for teaching purposes, the request must be made through the Visual Resources Collection (VRC), next door to the ALSC Reading Room. ALSC staff will work with VRC staff to make ALSC materials available for reproduction. ALSC reserves the right to prohibit the reproduction of fragile or light-sensitive items.