The Yale University Library catalog contains authority records that help staff maintain consistent headings in the catalog. They also generate cross references that facilitate searching. The Library creates its new authority records in OCLC via the cooperative cataloging program NACO. These records become part of the Library of Congress Authorities, a master file shared with libraries throughout the world.
The Library relies on the MARS service to help maintain authority control in ORBIS. This service corrects headings in new bibliographic records, supplies new and changed authority records, and provides reports that facilitate retrospective database cleanup activities.
- Authorities and Identities Advisory Group
- Authority Control Workflow for C&T Staff
- Authority Control Workflow for Catalog Librarians
- Cataloger's Desktop
- LC Cataloging and Acquisitions
- LC Web Authorities
- LC Web Authorities FAQ
- Orbis Heading Change Request Form
- Virtual International Authority File (VIAF)
- Yale Policies for NACO Series Authority Records