Reviewing non-RDA NARs
Many existing NACO records have been automatically upgraded to RDA, but others will need to be evaluated, and possibly updated, manually.
- General principle: if the preferred name/qualifier combination is consistent with RDA, leave the AAP as is.
- Review the 4xx fields:
- The reference may need to be qualified or revised to RDA form.
- Do not remove 4xxs already in the record, even if they are no longer mandatory.
- If there are non-Latin script 4xxs, assign the ref code is “b” and add the 667 field Non-Latin script reference not evaluated or Non-Latin script references not evaluated.
- If there is a 667 field reading THIS 1XX FIELD CANNOT BE USED UNDER RDA UNTIL THIS RECORD HAS BEEN REVIEWED AND/OR UPDATED, be sure to delete the field once you have evaluated and updated the record
- Change the Desc code from a to z and insert $e rda into the 040 field
- When updating a previously established AACR2 NAR, add 046 information for birth/death or founding/ending if readily available. The other new fields are not mandatory as long as the core information has been recorded elsewhere in the NAR.
- If an AACR2 AAP had to be changed, make the update, and report it to Rowena to notify LC for BFM (bibliographic file maintenance). See Guidelines for Reporting NACO BFM for details. For local maintenance, notify Eva Bolkovac, if there are too many headings to update the records manually in Voyager.
- Get an expert second opinion on:
- Music AAPs
- Treaty AAPs
For background and examples, see Summary of Programmatic Changes to the LC/NACO Authority File
Document originally created by the Authority Control Advisory Committee; revised and maintained by the Authorities & Identities Advisory Group.
Comments to: Rowena Griem
Tuesday, November 1, 2022 - 1:59pm