Yale University Library recently acquired an important Chinese studies resource: ProQuest Historical Newspapers: South China Morning Post 南華早報. The resource has been added to the Library’s Orbis online catalog, Find Databases by Title, and Chinese Studies subject guide.
ProQuest Historical Newspapers: South China Morning Post currently covers the period from 1903 to 1995. Newly available contents will be added periodically. This premier English-language title has been published in Hong Kong since November 6, 1903. The newspaper has been known for its authoritative, influential, and independent reporting on all of Asia as well as its perspective of the rest of the world. The database gives international researchers new insights into China’s unique political and social history during the 20th century such as:
• Chinese Revolution that overthrew the Qing Dynasty, China’s last imperial dynasty
• Spread of the bubonic plague and adoption of the Peak Reservation Ordinance
• Battle of Hong Kong in December, 1941, which led to the Japanese occupation during World War II
• Reestablishment of the British colonial government after the end of the war
• Communist Revolution in China in 1949
• Industrialization and economic growth of Hong Kong
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about the database. You are also welcome to schedule an individual session to learn more about the Chinese online resources.