Cartographic Minimal Level Bibliographic Record & MFHD
This minimal-level cataloging guideline complies with the PCC BIBCO Standard Record (BSR) for cartographic resources, and it is intended for the catalog assistant when no adequately bibliographical record for a cartographic resource is found in OCLC.
Part 1: General Procedures for Minimal Level Bibliographic Records
- Search local catalog thoroughly before creating a minimal-level bibliographic record.
- If a record is found in the local catalog but requires better metadata, search OCLC. If there is no better bibliographic record or matching record in OCLC, route the item to a map catalog librarian.
- If there is a better bibliographic record or matching record in OCLC, enhance the existing record in the local catalog following the Copy Cataloging Checklist for Map guideline.
- If a full level record is not found in LCDB and OCLC, create a new minimal level record following the guideline from Part 2, using approved templates for cartographic materials.
- If no matching record is found in OCLC, create a new minimal level record following Part 2.
- If the cartographic resource is part of a cartographic series, consult with a map catalog librarian.
- If cartographic material is unpublished (e.g., a manuscript map or a photostat), consult with a map catalog librarian.
Part 2: Creating a New Minimal Level Map Record
Use the approved bibliographic template for cartographic resources to create a new minimal-level record. Refer to the map catalog librarian to install the template.
|Type of Record||e: cartographic material <template default>|
|Bibliographic level||m: monograph/item <template default>|
|Encoding level||7: minimal level <template default>|
|Cataloging form||i: ISBD punctuation include <template default>|
This field is mandatory in all records. Use the map, globe, tactile material, or remote sensing image tabs as appropriate to the material being cataloged. General template for 007 in preliminary map records (a-Map):
|Specific Material Designation||j: Map <template default>|
|Original vs Reproduction Aspect||_: OBSOLETE <template default>|
a: One color <template default>
|Physical Medium||a: Paper <template default>|
|Type of Reproduction||n: Not applicable <template default>|
|Production/Reproduction Detail||z: Other <template default>|
|Positive/Negative Aspect||n: Not applicable <template default>
|Publication Status||s: single known date/probable date <default, see *** NOTES 1>|
|Date 1||<see *** NOTES 2>|
|Date 2||<see *** NOTES 2>|
|Place of Publication||<must match 264 ‡a>|
|Materials||a: single map <template default, see *** NOTES 3 for other values>|
|Language||<select the language predominantly used in the item>|
|Cataloging Source||d: Other <template default>|
1. Type of Date/Publication status
s = for single maps (single sheet or on multiple sheets)
r = for facsimile reprints
q = for infer a date for a range of dates
|264 ‡c||DATE 1||DATE 2||008 Code(s)||Explanation|
|2014||2014||s||Publication date appears on the item|
264 _1 ‡c 
264_4 ‡c ©2014
|2014||2014||t||Only copyright date appears on the item|
264_1 ‡c 2014
264_4 ‡c ©2013
|2014||2013||t||Use when copyright date is different from the publication date|
|1998||1998||1836||r||Facsimile reprint: 2nd date for original map is known|
|1998||1998||uuuu||r||Facsimile reprint: 2nd date for original map is unknown|
|||2014||s||When use distribution date, or printing date|
|[approximately 1742]||1742||s||Approximate date|
|1998||1998||1836 or uuuu||r||Facsimile reprint: 2nd date for original map (uuuu if date of original not unknown)|
|1945-||1945||9999||c||Multi-part map set (monographic or series), if start and end date are known and differ.|
|1996-1997||1996||1997||q||Multi-part map set (not series), if start and end date differ|
|[between 2000 and 2010?]||2000||2010||q||Probable range of year|
|[not before 2010]||2010||uuuu||q||Earliest possible date known|
|[not after 2010]||uuuu||2010||q||Latest possible date known|
|[between 2001 and 2011]||2001||2011||q||Earliest and latest possible date known|
|a: Single map||A single sheet cartographic item or multiple sheet cartographic item issued at the same time by the same publisher and meant to be used together to form a single bibliographic entity.|
|b: Map series||A number of related but physically separate and bibliographically distinct cartographic units intended by the producer(s) or issuing body(s) to form a single group. Each sheet includes sufficient detail (title, legend) to be used alone. Not used for atlas series.|
|c: Map serials||Issued in successive parts bearing numerical or chronological designations and intended to be continued indefinitely. For serially issued atlases, code e (Atlas) is used.|
|d: Globe||A 3-dimensional cartographic item.|
|e: Atlas||Includes atlas series, and serially issued atlases.|
020 (ISBN): Record the ISBN in field 020, if applicable. Do not transcribe hyphens or spaces.
034 (Coded cartographic mathematical data):
- The 034 field and the 255 field must be in agreement.
- Subfield ‡a is mandatory.
- Subfield ‡b is for scale figure, record without commas (same as 255 ‡a)
- Subfields ‡d, ‡e, ‡f, ‡g are for latitude and longitude values in the decimal format, while 255 ‡c is in the degrees-minutes-seconds format. Supply coordinates even if they are not available on the map; use BoundingBox or Extent Helper to determine the coordinates. Use Degree/Minutes/Seconds to/from Decimal Latititude/Longitude Conversions Calculator to determine or convert coordinates.
If a scale is stated on the map, or if one can be determined using a scale indicator, mark the first indicator 1 (one), enter a in subfield ‡a and the denominator of the scale ratio, without commas, in ‡b.
|034||1||‡a a ‡b 2000000|
If there is no scale stated on the map, and one can not be determined using a scale indicator, mark the first indicator 0 (zero), and enter a in subfield ‡a. Do not add subfield ‡b.
If there are scale and coordinates on the source, record them in decimal degrees in ‡d [westernmost longitude], ‡e [easternmost longitude], ‡f [northernmost latitude], ‡g [southernmost latitude]. Use the negative sign (-) in front of longitude (W) and latitude (S).
|034||1||‡a a ‡b 126720 ‡d 144.4 ‡e -064.4 ‡f 071.6 ‡g -014.8|
If using BoundingBox or Extent Helper to determine the coordinates, add ‡2 bound right after ‡g.
|034||1||‡a a ‡b 126720 ‡d 008.3971 ‡e 011.0887 ‡f 045.4816 ‡g 044.6333 ‡2 bound|
040 (Cataloging source):
|040||‡a CtY ‡b eng ‡e rda ‡c CtY|
100/700, 110/710, or 111/711 (Main or added entry: Personal, Corporate or Conference Name):
- If the resource has more than one creator, record the first-named creator in the appropriate 1XX field.
- If the map names no author, omit the 1XX field.
- If there is no 1XX and there is an editor, compiler, etc., record the name in field 7XX.
- Treat cartographic firms (such as Hammond or Rand McNally), which are responsible for the creation of the maps they produce, as main entries, unless a cartographer is named specifically on the map (e.g., as with many National Geographic maps). In the latter situation, record the cartographer as main entry (100 1_), and include an added entry for the firm (710 field).
- Add the appropriate relationship designators
- for creators (cartographer, creator).
- for contributors (compiler, surveyor, engravor, etc.)
- Search for an authority record for the heading (personal, corporate, or conference) in the OCLC Authority File, using the authorized form in 1XX. If a personal name or a corporate name is not authorized and there is no precedent for its use represented in ORBIS or in OCLC, use the form of the name as found on the map (last name first for personal names, unless instructed otherwise). Enter a space between initials that accompany a personal surname (e.g., Fischer, M. F. K.), but not between initials that are constituents of a corporate name (e.g., B.F. Goodrich Company).
On source: By George Philip & Son, Ltd.
|110||2||‡a George Philip & Son, ‡e cartographer.|
On source: Cartography by G.F. Cruchley (form as found on the map; no authority record found; and not found in the local catalog)
|100||1||‡a Cruchley, G. F., ‡e cartographer.|
On source: Institut géographique national
*** The corporate body responsible for the creation of the map and issuing the map.
|110||2||‡a Institut geographique national (France), ‡e cartographer, ‡e issuing body.|
On source: Cartography by Hans Oberdorfer for the Hermann Haack Geographisch-Kartographische Anstalt
|100||1||‡a Oberdorfer, Hans, ‡d 1846-1927, ‡e cartographer.|
|710||2||‡a Hermann Haack Geographisch-Kartographische Anstalt, ‡e issuing body.|
245 ‡a [main title] : ‡b [other title information] / ‡c [statement of responsibility].
- If the record has a main entry (1XX), set the first indicator to 1 (one); if it does not, set the first indicator to 0 (zero).
- Transcribe the title of the main map as it appears on the source, including an article, if present. If the title begins with an article, set the second indicator to reflect the number of characters preceding the title proper (including a space, if there is one). If the title does not begin with an article, set the second indicator to 0 (zero).
- If a source is in a cover or has a panel title, and the cover or panel title is more comprehensive than the title on the map (e.g., "Maputo streets, monuments, and government offices" on the cover or panel vs. "Map of Maputo" on the map), transcribe the cover title in the 245 field. Capitalize the first letter of the first word and the first letter of proper nouns. Use ‡b for other title information (such as subtitles, parallel titles, etc.) and precede it with space-colon ( : ). Transcribe the statement of responsibility in subfield ‡c, following a slash. End the field with a period.
On source: Atlas du Nord de la France, Institut de géographie, Université de Lille.
|110||2||‡a Institut de géographie, Université de Lille, ‡e cartographer, ‡e issuing body.|
|245||1||0||‡a Atlas du Nord de la France / ‡c Institut de géographie, Université de Lille.|
On source, panel title: France.
***no statement of responsibility
On source: France et ses colonies. Cartografie par Alexandre Vuillemin.
|100||1||‡a Vuillemin, A. ‡q (Alexandre), ‡d 1812- ‡e cartographer.|
|245||1||0||‡a France et ses colonies / ‡c Cartografie par Alexandre Vuillemin.|
On source: The Ordnance Survey map of Namibia, prepared by the Survey and Cartographic Unit
|245||0||4||‡a The Ordnance Survey map of Namibia / ‡c prepared by the Survey and Cartographic Unit.|
|710||2||‡a Namibia. ‡b Survey and Cartographic Unit, ‡e issuing body.|
If there more than 1 name (person or corporate body) is in the primary statement transcribe all persons or corporate bodies named. Or use RDA option: name of 1st author [and <x> others]
|245||1||0||‡a Atlas of India / ‡c cartographer, Alpa Pandya, Kaushik Pandya, Dr. R.P. Arya, Jitender Arya, Dr. Gayathri Arya, Anshuman Arya.|
|245||1||0||‡a Atlas of India / ‡c cartographer, Alpa Pandya [and five others].|
246 (Varying form of title) Do not end the field with punctuation, unless it belongs to the final word (abbreviation, etc.).
If there is more than one languages for the title proper, create a 246 for the parallel title.
On source: Guide Total des routes du Cambodge, 2008 / Total road atlas of Cambodia, 2008. Conception, texte, Alain Gascuel. Cartographie, Frank Dufrenoy.
|100||1||‡a Dufrenoy, Frank ‡e cartographer.|
|245||1||0||‡a Guide Total des routes du Cambodge, 2008 = ‡b Total road atlas of Cambodia, 2008 / ‡c conception, texte, Alain Gascuel ; cartographie, Frank Dufrenoy.|
|246||1||1||‡a Total road atlas of Cambodia, 2008|
If the title recorded in field 245 ‡a is in English and contains an ampersand (&), create a 246 field with the word "and" in place of the ampersand, using indicators as shown.
On source: Cadiz & environs
|245||1||0||‡a Cadiz & environs.|
|246||3||‡a Cadiz and environs|
If the title begins with a cardinal or ordinal numeral, create a 246 field with the number represented as a word (in the language of the title), using indicators as shown:
On source: 2 cartes linguistiques du Congo belge
|245||1||0||‡a 2 cartes linguistiques du Congo belge.|
|246||3||‡a Deux cartes linguistiques du Congo belge|
If the title recorded in field 245 ‡a has an obvious typographical error, do not correct the error in 245 but rather create a 246 field with the corrected text, using indicators as shown. Do not add a 246 field to correct archaisms or vernacular/alternate spellings, e.g., "Map of the Spice Islands," "Brussel" (for Brussels)
On map: Munincipal map of Barstow
|245||1||0||‡a Munincipal map of Barstow.|
|246||1||‡i Corrected title: ‡a Municipal map of Barstow|
If the panel title or cover title is more comprehensive in its description of the geographical coverage of the source than the title on the source itself, transcribe it in the 245 field, and transcribe the title on the source in a 246 3_ field. A 500 general note indicating the source of the title given in the 245 field (e.g., "Panel title" or "Cover title") is required, but is a helpful addition to the record.
|245||1||0||‡a Metropolitan Lhasa, showing tramways.|
|246||3||‡a Map of Lhasa|
|500||‡a Panel title.|
250 (Edition statement) Transcribe edition statement in field 250 in the form as appear on the source. Always end the field with a period.
On source: Fifth edition
|250||‡a Fifth edition.|
On source: Revised 2nd ed.
|250||‡a Revised 2nd ed.|
On source: 2. Auflage
|250||‡a 2. Auflage.|
On source: 1 édition
|250||‡a 1. édition.|
On source: 1 opplag
|250||‡a 1. opplag.|
255 (Cartographic mathematical data) *** Verify that information in the 255 field and that entered in the 034 field are in agreement.
Recording Scale Statements in 255 ‡a.
- Record the scale, if it is stated on the source, or if it can be determined using a scale indicator. Use commas in the statement of scale.
- Must provides scale as a Representative Fraction (RF) from, e.g. 1:100,000
- Use commas in the statement of scale.
- Do not use square brackets when converting or supplying the Representative Fraction Data
- Use "approximately" in stead of "ca."
- Always end this field with a period.
Recording Projection information in 255 ‡b.
- "proj." should be written out "projection"
Recording coordinates information in 255 ‡c. in the decimal form
|034||1||‡a a ‡b 126720 ‡d -103.000000 ‡e -102.000000 ‡f 054.000000 ‡g 053.500000|
|255||‡a Scale 1:126,720 ‡c (W 103.000000--W 102.000000/N 054.000000--053.500000).|
When converting verbal statement to RF, e.g., "1 in. = 4 miles"
|034||1||‡a a ‡b 126720 ‡d -103.000000 ‡e -102.000000 ‡f 045.000000 ‡g 053.500000|
|255||‡a Scale 1:126,720. 1 in. = 4 miles ‡c (W 103.000000--W 102.000000/N 054.000000--053.500000).|
On source: Scale ca. 1:126720
|034||1||‡a a ‡b 126720 ‡d -103.000000 ‡e -102.000000 ‡f 045.000000 ‡g 053.500000|
|255||‡a Scale approximately 1:126,720 ‡c(W 103.000000--W 102.000000/N 054.000000--053.500000).|
When scale information not available
|034||1||‡a a ‡d -103.000000 ‡e -102.000000 ‡f 045.000000 ‡g 053.500000|
|255||‡a Scale not given ‡c (W 103.000000--W 102.000000/N 054.000000--053.500000).|
|255||‡a Scales differ.|
|300||‡a 1 atlas (iv 445 page) ‡c color illustrations, color maps ; ‡c 28 cm|
264 (Place, publisher, and date)
New MARC field for production, publication, distribution, printing, and copyright date.
- Production (unpublished material only; manuscript map): 264_0
- Publication: 264_1 (always made)
- Distribution: 246_2 (special circumstances)
- Manufacturer (printing, etc.): 264_3
- Copyright date: 264_4
Transcribe the place of publication, the name of the publisher, and the date(s) of publication according to the following pattern:
|264||1||‡a [Place of publication] : ‡b [Name of publisher], ‡c [date(s) of publication].|
If there is more than one place of publication, record the first-named only.
End the field with a period, unless there is already final punctuation (e.g., a bracket).
For recording publication date, see also 008 section Date 1/Date 2.
|264||1||‡a Paris : ‡b Pneu Michelin, ‡c 2001.|
If there is no place of publication stated, use [Place of publication not identified]. YUL encourage to supply the place of publication if possible, even if just the country.
|264||1||‡a [Place of publication not identified] : ‡b Pneu Michelin, ‡c 2001.|
|264||1||‡a [France] : ‡b Pneu Michelin, ‡c 2001.|
If there is no publisher named, use [publisher not identified].
|264||1||‡a Paris : ‡b [publisher not identified], ‡c 2001.|
If there is no publication date, use [date of publication not identified]. Or supply a probable date whenever possible.
|264||1||‡a Paris : ‡b Pneu Michelin, ‡c [2001?]|
If there is no publication date, record the latest copyright in ‡c and enclose the date in bracket then create 2nd 264 field to record the copyright date.
|264||1||‡a Paris : ‡b Pneu Michelin, ‡c |
If supply the date of publication, enclose the date in brackets.
Actual year known
|264||1||... ‡c |
Either one of the two consecutive yea
|264||1||... ‡c [2009 or 2010]|
|264||1||... ‡c [2010?]|
Probable range of years (between ... and ...?)
|264||1||... ‡c [between 2009 and 2010?]|
Earlier and/or latest possible date known (not before ; not after)
|264||1||... ‡c [not before 2009]|
|264||1||... ‡c [not after 2010]|
YUL strongly encourages the cataloger NOT to use:
|264||1||‡a [Place of publication not identified] : ‡b [publisher not identified] , ‡c [date of publication not identified]|
300 ‡a (Extent)
Spell out "color" and "illustrations" however, "cm" is a metric symbol, not an abbreviation.
Give the extent of the item in ‡a
|300||‡a 1 map ...|
|300||‡a 1 atlas (iv 445 page) ...|
|300||‡a 2 map on 1 sheet ...|
|300||‡a 1 map on 4 sheets|
Give other physical details in ‡b
|300||‡a 1 map : ‡b color ...|
Give Dimension (height x width) in‡c.
- measure within the neat lines where the geographic area is displayed, NOT the size of the sheet.
- If the map extend beyond the neat line, measure up to the extend.
- Record the size of the sheet if it is substantially different than the size f the map, give the size of the map follow by the sheet size.
|300||‡a 1 map : ‡b color ‡c 65 x 45 cm|
|300||‡a 1 map : ‡b color ‡c 35 x 40 cm, on sheet 70 x 60 cm|
|300||‡a 1 map : ‡b color ‡c 68 x 94 cm, folded to 26 x 15 cm|
|300||‡a 1 map : ‡b color ‡c 36 x 42 cm, on sheet 72 x 60 cm, folded to 24 x 11 cm
Due to the complexity of extent statements for maps, consult with a catalog librarian for maps if "1 map" seems inappropriate for the material in hand.
33x (Media Type; Content Type and Carrier Type)
|336||‡a cartographic image ‡b cri ‡2 rdacontent|
|337||‡a unmediated ‡b n ‡2 media|
|338||‡a sheet ‡b nb ‡2 rdacarrier|
|336||‡a cartographic image ‡b cri ‡2 rdacontent|
|337||‡a unmediated ‡b n ‡2 media|
|338||‡a volume ‡b nc ‡2 rdacarrier|
|336||‡a cartographic three-dimensional form ‡b crf ‡2 rdacontent|
|337||‡a unmediated ‡b n ‡2 media|
|338||‡a object ‡b nb ‡2 rdacarrier|
490 (Series statement)
Transcribe the series statement (title proper and numbering) as they appear on the source of information in 490 field, first indicator "0"
|490||0||‡a Series statement ; ‡v volume number|
On source: Baxter's pathfinders no. 5237
|490||0||‡a Baxter's pathfinders ; ‡v no. 5237|
On source: Traveller's series, number 15
|490||0||‡a Traveller's series ; ‡v number 15|
On source: Tourismuskarten des XX. Jahrhunderts
|490||0||‡a Tourismuskarten des XX. Jahrhunderts|
655 Cartographic Genre/Form Headings
Apply appropriate genre/form headings for the item in hand and record in 655 field follow the pattern below. For comprehensive click here.
|655||7||‡a [heading]. ‡2 lcgft|
|655||7||‡a Maps. ‡2 lcgft|
|655||7||‡a Atlases. ‡2 lcgft|
Part 3: Creating a Minimal Level Record in ORBIS Using Non-Standard Member Copy from OCLC
***Non-standard member copy refer to encoding level: 3, 4, 5, 7, M. Also include record created by non-English cataloging agencies.
If a matching record is found in OCLC and it meets the criteria above, that record can be used as is as a base minimal level record. Edit and enhance the record following Part 2.
Part 4: MFHD & Item Record
As a rule of thumb, MFHDs for order records should have a location code in ‡b, but the ‡h should be left blank. Records created with the item in hand should have the words "In process" in the ‡h.
For Map Department *** Map Department was disbanded in 2015. A new location is to be determined (10/17)
MFHD for maps
|852||8||0||‡b smlmap ‡h [Map Department Classification] **can be assigned by C&T staff|
MFHD for atlas
|852||8||0||‡b smlmapa ‡h In Process **to be assigned by map catalog librarian|
For other locations, assign appropriate location code in ‡b and "In Process" in ‡h.
Comments to: Tachtorn Meier