Welcome to the Yale University Library (YUL) Digital Services page. This page is meant to serve as an entry point to request a variety of digital services offered by YUL and its campus partners.
Click on a category below to find more information on the type of digital services available via the library and its partners. Request help or more information on any service below using the Digital Services Request Portal.
Can't find the service you are looking for? Email email@example.com. Upon receipt, you will receive an automated email with the details of your request and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
To request this service, go to the Digital Services Request Portal and select '3-D Modeling & Printing' from the digital service drop-down.
- 3D Printing & Modeling includes access to different types of 3D printers, 3D scanning, training resources at Yale on 3D modeling, and access to 3D modeling software like solidworks. 3D Printing & Modeling services are provided by the Yale Center for Engineering Innovation & Design.
To request this service, go to the Digital Services Request Portal and select 'Augmented or Virtual Reality' from the digital service drop-down.
- Augmented or Virtual Reality includes access to production tools, AR/VR hardware & software, motion capture & video studio space, and training opportunities. AR/VR services are provided by the Center for Collaborative Arts & Media.
To request this service, go to the Digital Services Request Portal and select 'Digital Preservation' from the digital service drop-down.
- Old file format migration includes creating new, modern surrogates of old or uncommon files (such as Harvard Graphics, WordPerfect, or Lotus) for the sake of long-term access and preservation.
- Old media rescue includes creating working images (or copies) from old hardware or storage devices (such as floppy disk, zip, sciquest, hard drive, reel-to-reel) for the sake of long-term access and preservation.
- General or Special collections digital accessioning is the process of transferring born-digital physical media to stable long-term storage for special collection and general collection materials across Yale University Libraries and Museums. This service is available to Yale staff only. For more information, visit the Born Digital @ Yale: Digital Accessioning Service libguide.
To request this service, go to the Digital Services Request Portal and select 'Digital Project Planning' from the digital service drop-down.
- Grant Writing & Planning includes resources and opportunities for external funding for those working on research at Yale.
- Project Management includes questions on managing digital research projects including managing collaboration, creating project timelines, and defining the scope and resources needed to complete a digital project.
- User Experience & Assessment (UX/UA) includes questions on User Experience and User Interaction design and methods to assess user needs, preferences and trends.
- Digital Collection Assessment, Accessioning and Curation is the process of transferring born-digital physical media to stable long-term storage for special collection and general collection materials across Yale University Libraries and Museums. This service is available to Yale staff only. For more information, visit the Born Digital @ Yale: Digital Accessioning Service libguide.
To request this service, go to the Digital Services Request Portal and select 'Digital Scholarly Communication' from the digital service drop-down.
- Basic Web Sites includes questions on access, use, and creation of Yale managed web sites like CampusPress, Yale Sites, and others.
- Copyright and Intellectual Property Assistance includes questions on licensing & copyright of materials in and outside of the Yale Library collections.
- Researcher Profile Management includes assistance with creating a standard or universal online identity as a researcher. This includes researcher profiles and ORCID.
- Research Impact Assessment includes assistance with using Library-licensed databases to acquire citation data for analyzing the impacts of individuals, departments, or teams; brainstorming ways to measure impact using the Becker Model, altmetrics, or article-level metrics; or requesting a presentation on the scope and diversity of modern impact assessment methods in academia.
- Digital Publishing includes resources and recommendations on publishing projects, data, and other scholarly works online via a personal website or blog, EliScholar, or other online publishing platforms. Also, request this service for questions on assigning permanent identifiers (like DOIs or Handles) to scholarly work.
- Digital Exhibits includes information on Yale resources for creating digital exhibits using platforms like OMEKA.
- Digital Collections Purchasing & Licensing includes question on adding specific digital materials to Yale Library's collections through purchasing or licensing of electronic databases, datasets, or other resources.
To request this service, go to the Digital Services Request Portal and select 'Digital Scholarship' from the digital service drop-down.
- Custom Software & Web Development includes questions on developing software, tools, and applications relating to digital methods of scholarship.
- Data Harvesting includes questions on data collection tools and assistance with collecting existing data online via web-scraping, APIs, or other methods.
- Data Visualization includes recommendations on data visualization software, methods or best practices and assistance on projects with a visualization element. Examples might include static or interactive charts, Tableau, ggplot, D3, or “how do I tell a story with my data?”
- Database Development includes assistance with creating databases, best practices for database development, and recommendations of database tools and resources. This includes SQL, MySQL, MongoDB, Access, and other databases.
- Digital Humanities includes resources on digital tools and methods in the pursuit of humanistic questions. See the Yale DHLab page for more about Digital Humanities.
- GIS & Digital Mapping includes resources, software, and methods relating to Geographic Information Systems and digital mapping (ArcGIS, QGIS, CARTO, and others).
- Image Analysis Techniques includes questions on resources, methods, and tools for visual analysis of image collections.
- Online Training includes questions about additional training and educational resources accessible through Yale (Lynda.com) and other freely available online resources.
- Software Requests includes questions on cost and licensing of software or hardware for Yale student, staff, or faculty research.
- Statistics & Data Course Support is available for those teaching a course at Yale who would like to incorporate data analysis, digital humanities or other digital methods into your curriculum.
- Text & Data Mining (TDM) includes services and assistance with research requiring finding textual data, textual analysis, topic modeling, and natural language processing. See the TDM Research Guide for more information.
To request this service, go to the Digital Services Request Portal and select 'Digitization' from the digital service drop-down.
- Digitize Music Library Collection includes questions on digital access or digital copies of items in the Music Library's collection.
- Digitize Books includes high-quality scanning of a books or printed materials already in the Yale Library's collections for the use of research like textual analysis. For PDF scans of book chapters or articles, please use Scan and Deliver.
- Reformatting or Digitizing Audio/Video includes questions on reformatting audio/visual materials in Yale's collection for preservation and access. (Staff Only)
- Scanning and Imaging Microfilm/fiche includes inquiries on digitizing microfilm and microfiche already part of Yale Library's collections. (Staff Only)
To request this service, go to the Digital Services Request Portal and select 'Educational Technology & Media' from the digital service drop-down.
- Educational Technology Facilities includes questions on technology for classrooms and tools available for digital pedagogy. Educational Technology services are provided by the Center for Teaching and Learning.
- Video Service for Instruction includes questions on video recording and streaming services for classrooms and other instructional spaces on campus.
To request this service, go to the Digital Services Request Portal and select 'Research Computing' from the digital service drop-down.
- High Performance Computing (HPC) includes questions on training and access for researchers to Yale's HPC cluster. HPC services are provided by the Yale Center for Research Computing.
- Research Storage includes questions on storage options available for research conducted at Yale.
To request this service, go to the Digital Services Request Portal and select 'Research Data Services' from the digital service drop-down.
- Data Analysis includes any assistance designing or implementing statistical or data analysis techniques. See the StatLab website for more information about support for data anlysis.
- Data Acquisition includes assistance with discovering and acquiring data for your project. This can include Yale-licensed or publicly available data resources; connections to librarians to request new data set acquisitions; and other related topics.
- Data Management Plans (DMP) includes questions on creating a data management plan for your research project and would like assistance using the Data Management Planning Tool (DMPtool), creating a data management plan from scratch, or making connections with services that could fulfill elements of your plan requirements.
- Data Repository Services includes questions about data repository options such as 'Where do I put my research data for long-term storage?" or to request more information on the Yale Archive for Research Data (YARD).
- Metadata Services are available to the Yale staff. (Staff Only)
- Medical and Clinical Research Data Support is available for health science research including finding data, data security & compliance, data management plans, and other data best practices.