The Subject search option is used to retrieve records using Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) and Medical Subject Headings (MeSH). The results of this type of search are displayed in a browsable search results list.
To perform a subject search:
- Enter a word, or the beginning of a word, that describes your topic (for example, a search on econo would return the topics econometrics, economic, economical, economist, economy, economies, etc.).
- Review the search results and identify subjects that are relevant to your topic.
- Select a heading in order to view a title list for that subject.
- Select a catalog record from the title list.
Within detailed records, you may:
- Review the subjects assigned to the catalog record (the subjects should appear as links).
- Click on the heading which most closely describes your topic to execute a search for that subject.
If you are not successful using the Subject search option, try doing a Keyword search or an Advanced search.
For example, to use keywords to find materials related to demographic census data for poverty rates in cities, enter: census and cities and poverty. Select a record from the Results list that is relevant to your area of interest, and click on it to see the subjects assigned to the item. Then click on the links for the subjects that most closely match your topic, to retrieve a list of other materials with those same subjects.